Friday 25 September 2009

A Valuable Lesson in Faith

What is the Meaning of Faith?

As I have mentioned in many a blog, I have recently returned from a trip to Romania doing some charity work. I was part of a team that spent a week helping with the construction of an extension to an orphanage in Comanesti.

Steve Cooper and his Cry in the Dark charity had created Casa Lumina ten years ago to provide a loving home for children who suffered appallingly under the Caucesceau regime. They also established Casa Albert, an outreach centre and soon to be day centre for children with life limiting illnesses. The extension is being added to Casa Lumina to support the children as they now progress into adulthood.

So what have I gained personally from this trip?

How have I changed as a person and what has it taught me?

Certainly I am more grateful for the things that I have; my family, my friends and my home.

But I bring back from Romania one extremely valuable lesson.

On the Sunday, Steve Cooper explained how Cry in the Dark came about. He described how he was inspired to come to Romania to see for himself the dreadful conditions which orphans were having to endure; the cramped and loveless conditions which tugged at the heart strings.

God spoke to him and he knew he had to do something.

We can look back now at what has been achieved with the development of Casa Lumina and Casa Albert. In the beginning though this must have seemed like a daunting challenge.

Where does one start?

How do you even know where to start?

These were questions I put to Steve.

He answered. “I didn’t know where to start. I just turned to God, prayed for the answers and he showed me the way.”

WOW

This is true faith in God…in action.

I can recall tales, particularly in Nigeria, where my faith in God saw me through some sticky encounters.

One offs.

For twelve years God has been by Steves’ side. The creation of the Cry in the Dark team, the building of Casa Lumina, Casa Albert and now the extension at Casa Lumina.

Steve and the team at Cry in the Dark have been the sole reason why twenty three children with learning difficulties and varying illnesses have made it happily through to adulthood.

All this through his faith in God.

WOW

I believe in God, obviously.

But can I say my faith is as resolute as that of Steve Coopers’?

Probably not, or at least, not up until now.

As I’ve said, I’ve had my encounters where I believed God would pull me through…and he did. But I still worried about the bills, job, family etc., wanting to know step by step the path of my future.

I can see now the effects of an absolute belief and trust in God. By praying, and listening to his answers and believing that he WILL look after me, I can worry less about the future and open my eyes to the present.

If Steve Cooper has ever doubted his faith, it never showed, and I will be eternally grateful for this priceless lesson.

How fantastic is that?

Terry Norrington

http://www.whatisthemeaningoffaith.com

No comments: