Tuesday 10 November 2009

Absolute Faith

What is the meaning of faith?

There is no doubt that helping others or doing something charitable can give a tremendous sense of pride and fulfilment. Whether it be fundraising, helping at a charity function or devoting time to work voluntarily in a charity shop; these all provide that sense of purpose.

Occasionally there comes an opportunity to help charities by working at “the coalface”, so to speak. For fourteen of us this opportunity was presented in the form of “The Hard Hat Challenge” as set up by the charity Cry in the Dark. Cry in the Dark was established twelve years ago by Steve Cooper. At that time he was repairing a ladies cooker and she related the horrendous plight of thousands of orphans in Romania. Steve was compelled to go and look for himself and from that visit the charity was formed.

Two years later Casa Lumina was completed. This is an orphanage in Comanesti housing twenty three orphaned children all with learning difficulties or life limiting illnesses. Casa Albert became the next project for Cry in the Dark. Initially intended to be a hospice for sick children from the poorer regions around the city of Bacau it has become an outreach centre to enable a team of dedicated nurses to visit these children in their homes. Whilst Casa Albert remains the base for this outreach team, it will also be opened as a Day-care centre once the final finishing touches are complete.

Ten years on, many of the orphans at Casa Lumina have, physically at least, developed into adults. Cry in the Dark have pledged to provide a home for these young people for the rest of their lives, so “The Hard Hat Challenge” was the project created to build an extension to Casa Lumina in order to cater for the orphans through their adult lives. Primarily the work was to be undertaken by volunteers hence, on Saturday 29th August 2009 eight of us from two churches across Tenterden plus six from Geordie land (one wee lassie from Edinburgh also included in that party) arrived in Romania for one week to help with the task.

It was hard work in some hot conditions but we achieved a lot, developed some new DIY skills, created fellowship amongst the team and yet felt extremely humbled by the experience.

So what have I gained personally from this trip?

How have I changed as a person and what has it taught me?

Certainly I am more grateful for the things that I have; my family, my friends and my home.

But I bring back from Romania one extremely valuable lesson.

On the Sunday, Steve Cooper explained how Cry in the Dark came about. He described how he was inspired to come to Romania to see for himself the dreadful conditions which orphans were having to endure; the cramped and loveless conditions which tugged at the heart strings.

God spoke to him and he knew he had to do something.

We can look back now at what has been achieved with the development of Casa Lumina and Casa Albert. In the beginning though this must have seemed like a daunting challenge.

Where does one start?

How do you even know where to start?

These were questions I put to Steve.

He answered. “I didn’t know where to start. I just turned to God, prayed for the answers and he showed me the way.”

WOW

This is true faith in God…in action.

I can recall tales, particularly in Nigeria, where my faith in God saw me through some sticky encounters.

One offs.

For twelve years God has been by Steves’ side. The creation of the Cry in the Dark team, the building of Casa Lumina, Casa Albert and now the extension at Casa Lumina.

Steve and the team at Cry in the Dark have been the sole reason why twenty three children with learning difficulties and varying illnesses have made it happily through to adulthood.

All this through his faith in God.

WOW

I believe in God, obviously.

But can I say my faith is as resolute as that of Steve Coopers’?

Probably not, or at least, not up until now.

As I’ve said, I’ve had my encounters where I believed God would pull me through…and he did. But I still worried about the bills, job, family etc., wanting to know step by step the path of my future.

I can see now the effects of an absolute belief and trust in God. By praying, and listening to his answers and believing that he WILL look after me, I can worry less about the future and open my eyes to the present.

If Steve Cooper has ever doubted his faith, it never showed, and I will be eternally grateful for this priceless lesson.

How fantastic is that?

Terry Norrington

www.whatisthemeaningoffaith.com

www.cryinthedark.org

No comments: