Monday 22 December 2008

How Our Beliefs Can Provide Self Confidence and a Better Life

Self confidence derives from a belief in ourselves and our belief systems. But what are the things that we believe in that give us self confidence and hope?

For some, it is enough to believe in our own abilities, confident that we can find our way over any obstacle and drive on down the road to success. Many more draw comfort from their faiths and religion.

What follows next is not in any way intended to offend but to provide thought and debate. These are my thoughts which have been banded about among friends and I encourage anybody to comment and provide their own thoughts.

I attend church and am actively involved by helping with communion and occasionally conducting readings. I consider myself to be Christian, trying to live my life according to a code of morals that I believe most devout followers of all the main religions would follow too.

Yet there are some elements of the old testament that I struggle to get my head around. The idea that God has created us in his own image fails to resonate with me. I truly believe that a greater force has created us but in his own likeness?

It is easy for me to understand a greater power, our creator. If the big bang theory is to be believed, ie. the whole universe was created by a massive nuclear explosion generated from one single atom, well who or what put that atom there in the first place?

I also struggle to see how the world was created in seven days (six really, as on the seventh day God put his feet up). I have heard it said that each day represents a period of time in the earth’s massive history. One day equals so many millions or billions of years. Yet other Christian religions follow the bible word for word. Where does the truth lie?

Does it really matter?

The fact is that a belief in any religion gives us strength, it gives us hope and it gives us a set of rules by which to lead our lives upon. If we gain self confidence and a belief that we can succeed and rise above all uncertainties and yet still remain true to ourselves, religion must be a good thing mustn’t it?

I feel the danger comes from believing that our religion is right and true above all others. Then it can lead to fundamentalism. The belief that everybody should believe exactly what we believe and condemn those that don’t is surely a recipe for trouble.

In the small town where I live I am proud of the Churches Together initiative. Like minded people gather and talk freely together and work for the benefit of the community. Yet we are free to believe the way in which we want to believe. I don’t proclaim to know much about every main religion but if we all have a belief and a set of moral guidelines on which to follow, there is no reason on earth why we all cannot live in peace with each other.

These are some of my beliefs, beliefs that give me the self confidence and the desire to drive forward on a journey through life that provides success and immense satisfaction. I remember my grandmother saying in her last days.

“I’ve lived a great life and I’m ready to go now”

My intention is to be able to say exactly the same. Through my beliefs, self confidence and energy, I know I will.

Terry Norrington

www.whitedovebooks.co.uk/index#terryn1

http://www.getselfconfident.com/

No comments: