Tuesday 3 March 2009

Are You After Money, Rewards and Abundance? Read On!!!

Many people consider success to be purely financial. For some the creation of a healthy bank balance gives them self esteem, self confidence and pride. Money talks. Undoubtedly having money can provide peace of mind and security but the love of money above anything else can lead to a very shallow life.

The abundance that is there for everybody to obtain doesn’t come from money alone; it come from having a fulfilling life, taking on adventures and living your dreams. The word “reward” conjures up images of money; money earned or money gained from passing on information. But the rewards in life can be so much greater. Giving and helping others breeds contentment and satisfaction to a degree that many other activities fail to achieve.

Obviously raising money for charity is a noble thing to do. Even charities need money to survive. I can remember as a schoolboy doing events like sponsored swims and sponsored silences (yes I did manage to do this). At such a tender age I can still recall the pride that I felt having given my time selflessly.

In my adult years, doing walks for childrens’ charities was my “thing” for a little while. Not only did I feel that sense of joy and self esteem again, I also felt that I had achieved by pushing myself to complete the course. Come November time BBC Television and Radio presents a bonanza of fund raising events all in aid of childrens’ causes. Two years on the trot I was able to participate by manning the phones at our local BBC Radio Station collecting all the pledges as they came rolling in. I really felt a tremendous buzz as I had contributed to such a fantastic fund raiser as BBC Children in Need.

Doing good works for others doesn’t necessarily have to come in the name of charity. We can do good deeds every day. Even our work can provide a sense of satisfaction when we are able to help to provide a service for someone. Going that extra mile, doing that little bit more for somebody beyond what we are paid for can provide enormous rewards, and yes, sometimes that can mean financially as well.

Paul, a good friend of mine used to be a project manager in the IT industry. He earned good money but unfortunately he ended up being made redundant. Because the computer world was inundated with a wealth of talented people he found it very difficult to get another job in IT. Eventually he took a job teaching unemployed people literacy and numeracy and helping them to get job placements. Some of these people could be difficult to handle as they didn’t really want to be there, only being on the course because of the threat of withdrawal of their benefits. But occasionally he would get the one person who made it into the job market and was extremely grateful for the help they have received. This was the jewel in the crown for Paul which made his job so rewarding. The pay was poor in comparison to his previous work but he still teaches literacy and numeracy today, albeit for a supermarket chain where his students are more willing, thus the rewards of satisfaction come thicker and faster.

I have tremendous pleasure in referring back to some work I did in Nigeria in 2003. Having commissioned some Water Treatment Equipment I had to train the maintenance staff on the operation and maintenance of the equipment. It was so visible in their faces that my presentation had gotten through to them and that it had been of great interest and relevance. At the end of my training they were asking lots of questions, not just about the equipment but about me. Again the rewards were so deeply gratifying.

This year I am hoping to do more charitable work. It is my intention to sign up for a project for which I will spend a week in Rumania, along with other like minded people, constructing extensions to an orphanage for children with learning difficulties. http://www.cryinthedark.co.uk/

Helping others to better their lives is a reward in its self. It’s surprising how doing things selflessly for others without striving for money can provide inspiration and motivation for others to do the same. It also does wonders for your self confidence and self esteem too.

How fantastic is that?

Terry Norrington

http://www.whatisthemeaningoffaith.com

http://www.whitedovebooks.co.uk/index.htm#terryn1

No comments: